I recently received 100+ resumes in response to a job posting at my company, and I was amazed at how little applicants pay attention to essential details. So in case you were wondering why you weren’t hired, here are my top reasons why you didn’t get a callback.
- You attached (and sent) your college research paper instead of your resume.
- You didn’t indicate the position you were applying for. Companies do have multiple positions available at one time.
- You made it impossible to schedule an in-person interview with you. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to go through your list of reasons why you can’t make it in to see me.
- You had grammatical errors on your resume and cover letter.
- You had a weak handshake.
- You had poor eye contact.
- You had no questions about the role, company, culture, etc.
- You didn’t take the time to Google me and find out about my professional career. However, I’m pretty active with career advice tips, so if you took the time to read my suggestions, they would have aced the interview.
- You didn’t articulate how your skills/talents were relevant to the open position.
- You didn’t follow up after the interview.
- Your parting plea to me was, “Pick me!” (yes, a candidate said this to me on his way out).
To leverage your brand for career success, check out my top programs here! https://www.jmpbranding.com/for-individuals/
Get the latest career branding news here:
For more information on personal branding tips and career-related things, sign up for my monthly newsletter here!
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/jmpbranding/